“Pump Up the Volume” Review

Movie Review

Jordan Hasbrouck, Reporter

Pump Up the Volume is a coming-of-age movie written-directed by Allan Moyle. This movie is definitely something worth watching. 

In Arizona, an introverted and insightful teenager, Mark Hunter (Christian Slater), finds an outlet for his viewpoints through shortwave radio. Broadcasting as “Hard Harry,” Hunter uses his pirate radio show to rant against the injustices and hypocrisies taking place in society. Hunter conceals his off-air identity, but a determined student (Samantha Mathis) discovers the truth, while Principal Creswood (Annie Ross) seeks to shut down Hunter once and for all.

This movie seems to be the perfect movie to show how teenagers can speak out and fight against injustice. It highlights how teenagers tend to care more about social unfairness more than adults do, and how adults often try to shut down teens trying to fight for what they think is right. This film is perfect for teenagers trying to find the confidence to fight against the adults in their life, and it shows that they aren’t perfect or right 100% of the time.

This movie shows how you can struggle with yourself and your feelings, but when it comes down to it, the need to fight for what’s right becomes more important. Sometimes you need someone to push you in the right direction, but inevitably you’re going to try to do the right thing and fight for what you believe. 

The only negative aspect about this movie is how focused it is on romance instead of being focused mainly on what the injustices are. If you want your viewers to be on the protagonist’s side 100%, then focusing more on what the protagonist is fighting against instead of whatever romance is happening in the movie. The romance should be more of a side plot if it must even exist.